MODERN PROPAGANDA TECHNIQUES OF GERMANY SHOWN IN WIDENER SERIES

Exhibit Emphasizes Infiltration of Nazi Doctrines in the Americas

World War II of propaganda in the form of German-and-English-inspired publications will occupy the exhibit cases on the second floor of Widener Library for the next few weeks.

Beginning next Monday, propaganda activities in South America will be spotlighted. Highly treasured proof of German work has had to be smuggled out of Spanish America where Nazi influence a re-exportation ban on German literature.

Conspicuous in the present exhibit which closes today is a bulletin, "Transocean," which was distributed in New York to convince the American people of the justness of the Nazi cause. "Germany has only one aim-ending a war frivolously and criminally started by England," according to Transocean. Published after the collapse of Poland, the organ states that "Germany's war aims have been fully attained."

Among the German-American newspapers shown near the door of the reading room, the "Free American," published in New York City last January, is displayed, reporting that "President Roosevelt's incendiary fireside chat caused gnashing of teeth and cursing" in London because his speech did not declare war on Germany immediately.

An example of British feeling that the U.S. is not doing its part in the present war, "The Democrat" a British paper, charges that President Wilson was largely responsible for getting us into this mess. "For money in the U. S. will do anything'" and is even supporting the aggressor, Japan, it says.

Another bit of Nazi-propaganda in this country, the "Volksfront," published in Chicago, stands "for American Democracy, freedom, Peace, and progress."