PRINCETON EDGES FIGHTING HARVARD SEXTET, 5 TO 4

Hulse Excels As Tigers Win in Closing Moments

Their best showing of the year was still not enough to earn the Crimson hockey forces their first league victory, Princeton applied the right amount of pressure at the right time Saturday evening in Tigertown and skated off with another one-goal victory, this one by a 5 to 4 margin.

For two full periods the Hoddermen had the situation well in hand, battling the favored Bengals all over their own rink and running up a 4 to 2 lead. A disastrous third period tripping penalty and a flukey Tiger shot explain why Princeton is still on top of the roost with the Crimson occupying the opposite extremity.

Hulse Scores Three Goals

Stacy Hulse, Sherm Gray's colorful defensive mate, accounted for three of the Harvard goals. With Princeton using a peculiar forechecking defense, the speedy Hulse was able to break into the open frequently, and on three occasions he beat the Tiger goalie with his wicked shot. Burgy Ayres tallied the other marker.

Thirty seconds from the end of the second period the Hoddermen were hanging on to a 4 to 2 advantage, when one of the Sloane twins lifted a long shot from outside the blue lined which unaccountably penetrated the Crimson nets. And then in the third period, with Gordie McGrath out for tripping, Dick Poole tied it up. Four minutes before the end of the game Dick Faxon gave the Tigers their margin of victory on a break-away shot.

An unofficial Jayvee sextet bowed to their Nassau counterparts 7 to 4, and the Freshmen did not meet St. Mark's in their scheduled meet.