FORMER CRIME REPORTER, PAL OF GANGSTERS, IN HAA OFFICE

Once Arthur Wild Used to Cover Misdeeds of Chicago

From the gun-ridden streets of Chicago's gangland to the pleasant surroundings of a publicity office in the basement of the Harvard Union is a long way to travel, but Harvard's new director of sports publicity, Arthur Wild. has evolved along just such an exciting trail of journalistic adventure.

Only eight years ago, Wild was covering the Capone murders in Chicago as the ace crime reporter of the Chicago Daily News. So great was his work that he was awarded the Colonel McCormick Prize in Journalism, and Wild became hailed as the greatest police court correspondent since Finley Peter Dunne of the New York Journal.

Interviewed yesterday afternoon in his luxuriously appointed quarters in the H.A.A., wild told the story of how he decided to discard his exciting existence on the News for the comparatively quiet occupation of handling releases for Harvard.

"At first the crime game was the sort of thing that a young kid like I just lived," he explained "but after a while the unceasing round of slayings that was typical of Chicago at the time sickened and disillusioned me. I determined to start anew.

"The day I first realized the futility of crime reporting was on February 14, 1932. It was the famous St. Valentine's Day massacre by the Capone crowd. I was the first on the scene. I found some indications of the murderer's identity. "The murder itself was tough. The men's faces looked like hamburger.

"Get Out of Town"

"The next day I was warned by one of Capone's henchmen to get out of town. So I landed here."

It was hard to believe that the reporter who had calmly defined the worst gangsters of the decade was the same person as the debonair, quiet speaking Arthur Wild, across the desk of the H.A.A.

One would have thought of him as anything but an associate of underworld journalists, whose desire to obtain crime news has often led them to cultivating the friendship of prominent thieves and cutthroats merely to obtain news.

Tremendous Vitality

Above medium height, his keen grey eyes playing carelessly about the room, Wild gave the impression of tremendous vitality, held in check only by a correspondingly powerful calmness.

It is this restrained coolness which will be of great help to Wild in his new job, one which demands great activity. It is his vitality and levelness of purpose which also made Wild the man who really ran the Harvard grid team last fall.

Though he spent every afternoon on the practice field few bystanders noticed him, except to say "Oh, who's that fellow?" Yet Wild is Dick Harlow's closest adviser. Dick admits that it was Wild who, by using his western connections, managed to get Michigan on the schedule last fall.

As publicity director, Wild hopes to assume coaching duties openly as Dick Harlow's most trusted adviser. Harlow has expressed unusual interest in a new defense of Wild's which he calls the "bottleneck secondary."

The ringing of a phone prevented the obtaining of additional disclosures concerning the revolution which is sure to hit the Crimson grid team next year.