PAPOOSES NIP 1944 HOCKEY TEAM, 2 to 1

Bullard Scores For Yardlings; Reeves Out With Wrenched Knee

By John C. Bullard

In what was undoubtedly the best game played all year at the Boston Skating Club a strong Dartmouth Freshman hockey team nosed out the Crimson 2 to 1 yesterday afternoon. But the Yardlings, whose only previous loss was to St. Paul's last December, scared the daylights out of the Papooses before succumbing.

Captain Al Reeves, who sparked the Crimson from his defense position during the better part of the first two periods, was forced out of the game with a wrenched knee late in the second. His loss forced the Freshman coach, Skeets Canterbury, to play his only other available defensmen, Charlie Cowen and Pete Truesdale, without respite throughout a hectic third period. Eventually exhaustion left the Yardlings open to the visitors' smooth first line, which accounted for both Dartmouth scores and the Freshmen's defeat.

Green Scores First

The Indians went out ahead in 8:35 of the first period when the Riley-Harrison combination from up North beat "Steve" O'Neill, who had come out of the crease to make the save only to have the puck bounce off his stick into the cage.

Throughout the game the Freshmen kept the Dartmouth goalie, Al Barrett, on his toes, and twice during the first period Reeves stickhandled his way through the opposition, only to have one drive miss an open net by inches and the other one bounce off the goalie's pads.

Bullard Scores for 1944

The Crimson had the better of the going during the second and finally, three minutes before the end of the period, the little-used third line tied up the game. Center Lyman Bullard came down the middle and, taking a pretty pass from his wing, Dave Baldwin, flipped the puck past Barrett for the equalizer.

Again during the early part of the last period the Yardlings carried the fight, but as Truesdale and Cowen began to wear down under constant strain, the team's offensive drive faltered, and the Harrison to Riley combination pounded the clincher past O'Neill.