JUNIOR LEAVES FOR SERVICE IN AFRICA

Michael Clark to Drive Ambulance With de Gaulle's Desert Forces

Last Friday Michael K. Clark '42 packed up his books in Eliot House and left for a month's training in New York before he goes with the British-American Ambulance Corps to serve the Free French forces of General de Gaulle in Africa.

Clark, son of Freda Kirchwey, the editor of Nation, will learn first aid, radio work, mechanics, and military drill and then leave about the first of March on an Egyptian boat for Mombasa, Kenya, on the east coast of Africa. During the 45 day voyage, he will receive further instruction in desert warfare.

Go to Khartoum

From Mombasa the corps will go to Khartoum, where they will make final preparations for setting out across the Sahara to join the army of General Laminat under de Gaulle. Possible objectives of these Free French troops are the Italians in Libya or even the troops of the Vichy Government under the command of General Weygand on the Ivory Coast of West Africa.

Clark, along with Frederick W. Hoeing, formerly a History 1 instructor in 1936, has signed for six months' duty beginning when they first see action in Africa. Clark, however, expressed the opinion before he left that the war will last for some time and that he will probably remain in service for its duration.

He has travelled extensively in Europe and while in Palestine in 1938 he saw the British crush the Arab revolt "in efficient manner." He attended school in France before coming to Harvard, where he concentrated in French literature.