MERMEN SEE LITTLE TROUBLE WITH QUAKERS HERE TONIGHT

First String Men May Not Swim Against Red and Blue

By David B. Stearns

Hal Plen's dependable quintet of ace mermen, Art Besworth, Bus Curwen, Lenny Stowell, Bob White and Captain Franny Powers, will see little action tonight, giving way in favor of the "hackers" when an impotent Pennsylvania squad invades the Holyoke Street pool at 7:30 o'clock.

Powers and associates are counting on an easy win. To suggest that the Quakers might upset the powerful Crimson finmen would be almost as absurd as to imply that Rindge Tech might beat Minnesota if they should ever meet in football.

Pennsylvania has yet to score a victory in this year's competition, having lost four and won none in Eastern League matches, while being outscored 258 to 52. They boast no individual stars such as Paul Williams, who took first in the 50 and 100 yards sprints the last time the Quakers invaded the Harvard pool two seasons ago.

They are strongest in the backstroke where Captain Joe Tyson, a Junior, will be swimming. In the breast stroke the Penn mentor may pull a fast one by yanking a dark horse out of the bag. Two years ago a mystery man named Daugherty swam a fast 2:33 breast stroke, defeating both Max Kraus and Jack Waldron. Shortly after that he went on probation and last year did not swim at all. It has been rumored that the same mystery man may be back in the harness tonight, although he has not appeared in the lineup yet this year.

Frank Gorman will probably have things his way in the 440 and Ted McNitt should finish in front in the 50. Shaw McCutcheon and Brad Patterson can be counted on for a sweep in the diving.