STUDENT ART EXHIBIT OPENS

Nudes, Artificial Birds Are Included Among 150 Entries

Harvard's first undergraduate art exhibit will open today in the Germanic Museum when 50 pictures, one sculptured head, and several mathematical drawings will be shown. Under the direction of Howard R. Turner '41, the exhibition is expected to run at least a month.

The pictures range from minutely reproduced birds to nudes reminiscent of Picasso. Instead of the 50 entries expected, approximately 120 works were received from 40 students. Over 75 pieces, all done out of class, are to be exhibited.

This is the first art show that has included work from any undergraduate from either Harvard or Radcliffe. A similar exhibition was held in Winthrop House last year, but was limited to the members of that House. It was a great success.

Organizing the show with Turner are A. George Rock '41, Elliot L. Richardson '41, John A. Holabird, Jr. '42, Ferdinand F. R. Bruck '41, and Peter Black '43. Richardson draws for the Lampoon, while Holabird does the art work for the Harvard Progressive. Turner is a well-known artist who is a member of the Pinckney Street Artists' Alliance, and has had had several exhibitions of his work shown.

The pictures and other works will be sold, if the artist who did them wishes. Turner hopes to make this an annual exhibition of student art, but is insistent that no art done in connection with any class-work be exhibited. This holds true for Radcliffe students also, who are well represented.

Every entrant has some of his work displayed, since each one was alloted a certain amount of wall space and was allowed to fill it, with whatever he saw fit.