YALE QUINTET TOPS CRIMSON

Powerful Yale Team Downs Varsity in 54-40 Fight

By Donald Peddle

The Crimson Varsity hoopmen ran into another shooting snag against the Elis in the Indoor Athletic Building Saturday night and were dumped unceremoniously into the bottom depths of the E.I.L., 54-40 (or fight). Yale outscored Harvard from the floor, 21 baskets to 19, and picked up the rest of the victory margin from the free throw line.

Captain Frannie Simpson sent Harvard off to a 2 to 0 start after the opening tap, and the lead changed hands for several minutes. Towards the end of the first half, however, the Elis began to dominate the play and put all the pressure on the home boys, Their clever passing pulled the Crimson zone defense all over the floor and set up numerous opportunities for the Feslermen to be faked out of position.

More Harvard Shots

The visitors were tall and rangy and able to smother any ambitious Crimson hoopman who tried to work the ball in close to the Yale basket. As a result, Harvard had to confine itself to pot shots from far out on the floor or hurried one-handers from bad angles. Harvard took 78 shots to Yale's 68 during the course of the evening but was never able to get the Blues on the run and force them into committing fouls. Four chances from the foul line were all that the Crimson had to show for the entire game, while the Elis were cashing in on 12 out of 14.

Joo Romano kept Harvard within hailing distance in the second half with three quick baskets, and Ed Buckley contributed a pair of beauties near the end. Romano, however, took 25 shots during the game, while Finegan had 18--with but two connections. These percentages could not compare with the deadly Eli starting quintet and their 33 per cent mark.