PETITION FOR BROADCAST OF GAMES SWELLS

Houses Add Large Number Of Names in Single Day

Adding 400 names in the last 24 hours, the position which was inaugurated on Monday calling for the sale of broadcasting rights for next fall's football games had gained a total of more than 630 signatures last night.

Pointing out that the revenue received from the sale of the broadcasting rights would equal the amount by which the College plans to cut next year's athletic budget, the petition suggests that the proposed reduction be avoided by allowing a commercial sponsor to put the Crimson's home games on the air.

Returns Not Complete

As no lists have yet been posted in Dunster House, and because returns from the Commuters Center are not included in the total number of signatures, the full proportions of the movement could not be determined accurately yesterday.

The Undergraduate Committee on Athletics took up the question of the petition at its last meeting, but no vote was taken. But no information could be obtained as to the attitude of the Committee in regard to the suggestion, other than the statement that it had been "considered." It is reported that recommendation by this committee would carry considerable weight with the Corporation.

Sherman Gray '41, president of the Committee, said yesterday that he thought the plan was a "good idea," and that he was "all for it if it proved practical."

William Rich '44 and David Baldwin '44, authors of the move, plan to submit the petition to the Student Council for action at the end of this week. Both men expressed pleasure at the advances which their proposal has made to date.