The Council Slows Down

With a solid N.Y.A. report, a parietal rules recommendation, and a report on education under its belt, the Student Council has settled down into a late-winter lethargy. Only two brief routine ballot checking meetings have been held in the last six weeks, and at one of these exactly five of the seventeen representatives of the undergraduate body showed up at meeting time. The only meeting which has had anything like full attendance was the one at which a life photographer was also present.

Now there are on the docket five specific items, several of which have been waiting for consular action for weeks. The Food Committee has prepared a preliminary report on the chances of reducing food costs and a final report recommending changes in the inter-House meal setup. The Freshman Food Committee submitted a report to the Council on the state of the Union three weeks ago, and it has not been considered. A petition signed by over a thousand undergraduates waits the pleasure of the Council. A Student Council report on the budget cut has been submitted for consideration. The Education Committee has more words of wisdom to offer.

It is high time that the Council consider some of the problems that face it. There is no hope for any sort of self-government in the College unless the members of the Council are willing to accept the responsibility and work that go with the honor.