COUNCIL WILL ASK COLLEGE TO AIR GAMES

Petition, Started by 1944 Goes to Authorities Soon

Bailing the petition that the University sell the broadcasting rights for next year's football games as the "proper solution to the budget problem," the Student Council passed a resolution at its last meeting recommending the measure to the University.

The Council added the weight of its support to the 1052 names already backing the move when it unanimously recommended that the University avail itself of the radio income as a means of making the proposed $40,000 cut in next year's athletic budget unnecessary.

Asserting in its recommendation that the "decrease in student athletic activity would result from extensive budget reduction," the Council went on to say that "the sale of football broadcasting rights is not inconsistent" with Harvard's amateur athletic standards.

In previous years the commercial flavor attached to the sale of broadcasting time has been one of the biggest stumbling blocks to a realization of the plan suggested by the petition and which is now to be presented to the University.