PLAN MADE FOR TRANSCRIPTION AND CIRCULATION OF WORKSHOP PROGRAMS

Idea Adopted As An Experiment; Will Help Meet General Expenses

Acting on a recent proposal made by representatives of the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System to the effect that transcriptions of Workshop programs be circulated among the member stations of the IBS, the directors of the Harvard Radio Workshop have decided to adopt the plan as an experiment during the next year.

The pros and cons of the proposition, which could be carried out on a basis of sponsorship by national or local advertisers, who in turn would contract for the programs through the business office of the IBS, were first discussed at a meeting of the executive board on March 7.

It was decided then that the idea was a good one for the reasons of increased audience coverage and because it might conceivably make possible the acquisition of technical equipment, the lack of which has plagued the Workshop since its birth in 1939. It was also felt that the plan would provide another way of meeting general running expenses, another thing that has handicapped the organization since its beginning.

Finished in 1941

In the light of past production experience, however, the directors believed that such a series of transcriptions, which, of course, must be of first-rate quality, could not be satisfactorily completed much before the end of 1941.

Accordingly, they agreed with the IBS that the whole venture would only be an experiment, which, assuming that it might never reach practical realization, would still, on the one hand, give the IBS valuable experience in selling radio advertisements and, on the other hand, would be a good impetus to the Workshop's script department to turn out better programs.

Work Has Started

Work has already begun on the proposed new program in an effort to educate both candidates and members of the Workshop further in the art of script writing, according to Arthur B. Gnaidinger '41, program director of the Workshop. On last Monday Charles A. Siepmann, for 11 years director of Program Planning with the British Broadcasting Corporation, gave the first lecture. His subject was "American Radio Drama."

Founded by Archibald MacLeish, the radio stations, included in which is the third year of steady growth. Through its regular College outlet, the Crimson Network, the group now produces an original broadcast every week, and has become the first extra-curricular organization to have its work recognized by the Faculty. The English A and A-1 departments have recently indicated their willingness to give credit for Workshop plays.