Castle and Hopper Say No War With Japan

Government Professor Predicts Japanese Collapse in 20 Years

Although they based their arguments on different reasons, Bruce C. Hopper '24, associate professor of Government, and William R. Castle '00, former Assistant Secretary of State and ex-Ambassador to Japan, agreed that there is no need for war between the United States and Japan when they discussed the Far Eastern situation in Emerson Hall last night. The meeting was sponsored by the Committee Against Military Intervention.

Taking what he termed "a long range view," Professor Hopper predicted that in 20 years, Japan would be passing through her "long delayed social revolution," and would therefore be a nonentity.

Former Ambassador Castle asserted that: "Britain is the main issue today; Japan is only a side issue. The United States would be very foolish if it allows German propaganda to divert it from the main issue."

Japan to Balk Communists

Contending that the preservation of democracy will devolve upon the United States at the end of the present war, Castle pictured Japan as a possible help to this nation in its role as the champion of democracy when he said: "Japan hates communism, and will be our bulwark to the west just as Britain is our bulwark to the east."

In contrast to Castle, Professor Hop per views Russia as the best bet for a potential U. S. friend. Canceling Japan as a temporary obstacle, he advocated as foreign policy, "anything to prevent the eventual marriage of Russia and the German revolution."

With the collapse of Japan, and the possible domination of South America by European interests, Hopper sees Asia as the future market of American goods