POWERFUL BLUE SIX CRUSHES VARSITY WITH 8-2 VICTORY

Captain Willetts, McGrath Make Tallies for Crimson

Yale's big, bruising hockey team scored a decisive 8 to 2 victory over the Varsity six in a game played Saturday night at New Haven. The Elis went out ahead in 2:13 of the first period and piled up a commanding 5 to 0 lead on the misplays of the Harvard defense before Gordie McGrath scored the first Crimson goal in the closing seconds of the middle period.

Probably the most encouraging thing for worried Coach Clark Hodder in the whole Blue, evening was the way his Sophomore third line functioned. Throughout the game they were not scored upon, although on several occasions they found themselves pitted against the Elis' aggressive first line. The defensive units of the Crimson sextet were way below par, and three of the first five Yale goals were directly attributable to Harvard miscues. And the workhorse first forward trio, which has seen far more than its share of action throughout the unfortunate season, seemed tired.

A great deal of the time Harvard tried to use its five-man forcing tactics, but the Yale coach, Murray Murdock, apparently found the answer to this form of attack, with the Eli forward lines proving dangerous on breakaways with the Crimson defensemen caught up inside their opponents' blue lines.

Not until twenty seconds before the end of the second period did Harvard score. Then the makeshift second line of Dick Noone at center with Gordie McGrath and Bob Cox on the wings turned the trick. After passing the puck around in Yale territory for a while, Noone saw fit to let one fly at the Bulldog goaler, Sophomore Card Meyer, who had started in place of Bud Kleckhefer, out with a broken bone in his face. Meyer blocked the shot, but McGrath pounced on the rebound for the initial Crimson tally.

Captain Pren Willetts tallied on an unassisted goal in 11:27 of the last period when he took the puck at mid-ice, circled the defense, and dented the Blue nets for the second and last time during the game.