Students to Attend Dartmouth Meeting to Urge Revival of Experimental CCC Camp

Dorothy Thompson is Main Speaker; President Roosevelt Favors Plan

Six carloads of students will set out this afternoon for Hanover, New Hampshire, where they will combine with Dartmouth students in forming a pressure group in support of a fast-dying experimental C. C. C. camp.

Led by John Ordway '42, the group will attend a meeting at 8 o'clock, at which Dorothy Thompson will be the chief speaker. Following this they will be guests of Dartmouth College for the night. All interested students are invited to attend the meeting and stay for the night, it was announced by Ordway.

The camp, located in Sharon, Vermont, is at present being attended by half dozen Harvard graduates and an equal number from Dartmouth. It is the brain child of Frank Davidson '38, who attended a regular C. C. C. camp after graduation from College. He was impressed with the inefficiency and unnecessary discipline of the army officers in charge.

He therefore conceived a plan for a civilian-managed camp, which would stress education rather than discipline, and persuaded the Government to set up such a camp experimentally at Sharon. The members are picked C. C. C. boys and college graduates as well.

Davidson hoped that if the idea proved feasible, similar camps would be set up elsewhere, under the direction of the Sharon boys. Besides abolishing many of the faults with the present organizations, the proposal would release many officers for national defense.

Another phase of the new camps was suggested by Dartmouth Professor Roscustock Hussy, formerly of Harvard, Hussy, a German refugee who was instrumental in forming the pre-Nazi labor-camps, urged that college as well as unemployed youth be admitted to the camps, which would thus serve as a melting pot for all classes.

F.D.R. Supports Plan

The idea was supported by many well-known national figures, including President and Mrs. Roosevelt and Dorothy Caufield Fisher, but several members of Congress offered strong objection. About a month ago army administration was restored in Sharon, and the experimental nature of the camp was destroyed.

Today's meeting is intended to serve as the foundation of a drive to resume civilian leadership and continue the experiment.