Graduate School Contemplates Establishing Student Council

Majority of Students in Favor Of Measure; Dean Lamb Neutral

With the cooperation of the University's Administration Board, a group of students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is attempting to set up a Graduate School Student Council, similar in structure and aims to the undergraduate Student Council.

If the group can get a majority of the graduate students to agree with the plan, it will recommend the establishment of a council to the Administration Board. Provided that the Board is convinced of its value, the proposal will be brought to a vote in the Faculty, who will probably pass on it next April.

Started three months ago by a vote of the Faculty that officials should investigate the possibilities of a Graduate School student council, the movement only began to catch student interest over the past fortnight. In doing this the Graduate School follows the Law, Business, and Medical Schools, which already have active organizations similar to the undergraduate Student Council.

Discussions Held

Monday, February 17, the first meeting of the student body was held to discuss the plan. A second meeting is scheduled for next Monday, when the supporters of the proposed student council will try to have a vote taken.

So far, students in favor of the council are in a slight majority, feeling that such an organization would be invaluable in preparing reports on the Graduate School and in discussing problems like better housing facilities for students or new requirements for degrees. Many of the graduates, however, believe that a council would be up as "an organization collecting money superfluous.

In an interview granted two days ago, Arthur B. Lamb '05, Erving Professor of Chemistry and Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, said that he was neutral on the subject but that a council would make it much easier for him to come in closer contact with the student body.