Hoopsters Shoot to Keep Blue in Cellar; Improved Sextet Hopes For Upset Tonight

WIN MAY CLINCH LEAGUE RANKING

By A.edward Rowse

Three and a half hours of concentrated basketball are scheduled for tonight in the Indoor Athletic Building as both the varsity and Freshman quintets meet underdog Eli teams.

Coach Skip Stahley's Yardlings tangle with the powerful Blue yearlings at 7 o'clock while Coach Wes Fesler's varsity charges square off at 8:30 o'clock in the feature attraction of the evening.

The New Haven boys come to town with one of their poorest season records in recent years. Lodged ignominiously at the bottom of the league standings, the Elis have won only two and lost eight, dropping two each to Cornell, Columbia, Penn, and Dartmouth.

Beat Bengals Twice

Both victories came over Princeton, a team which has been a continual thorn in the side for Harvard all year. The Tigers, on the other hand, have taken the measure of the Crimson twice in the only two meetings of the two teams.

In nine league contests to date, the Crimson have a record of three wins against six losses, which puts them in a fourth place tie with Princeton. But, if there are no upsets in league games tonight, the Feslermen should grab undisputed possession of fourth. Third place Cornell is expected to down the Tigers tonight, while the Harvard five is also favored to win.

Starting for Harvard will be the same five who have started almost all the games this year. Captain Franny Simpson and Joe Romano, who have started every game except one against Columbia, will hold down the forward spots with Ed Rothschild at center.

Bud Finegan, the only one who has been in every starting lineup this season, and Ed Buckley will start at guard. Crimson substitutes who will see plenty of action are Bill Webber, Art Scully, Homer Peabody, Bob James, and Don McSweeney.

Yale will start Captain Johnny Cobb and Tom Vogt at the forward positions with Joe Zilly at center, while Chuck Seelbach and Ray Anderson will play guard. Substitutes include Al Ingley, John Owen, Fred Rosi, Irving Walradt, Al. Bartholemy, Art Wightman, Bob Halliday, and Chalmer Coe.

The Yardlings, smarting from their one-point loss to Dartmouth Wednesday, will be out for blood in the Freshman tilt. With a record of ten wins and three losses against Yale's record of nine wins and four losses, the Yardlings stand a strong chance of repeating last year's Freshman win.