Comments on Naval Action

In a telephone conversation last night with the Crimson, Congressman Eliot made the following statement:

If there is any such policy, put me down against it. I don't think either National Academy should discriminate against the Negro race. Thomas H. Eliot '28.

The following is the notarized statement of the coach and manager of the Varsity lacrosse team concerning the facts of the team's spring vacation trip to Annapolis.

The Harvard team arrived about 12 noon. We were met by an employee of the N.A.A., who got in touch with the midshipman member of the reception committee, E. Hannon. We told him immediately that there was one Negro member of the squad. He made arrangements and the whole squad, including Mr. Alexis, ate in the large dining hall.

After lunch, a midshipman informed Coach Snibbe and myself that we were wanted in the office of the assistant to the executive, whose name was (we believe) Commander Davis. There we were told that it would be impossible to play Alexis against the Naval Academy. Next we met Commander Perry, graduate manager of athletics. He reiterated Commander Davis' statements.

We were then taken to see Admiral Willson, the superintendent of the Naval Academy. After discussion with him, he gave Coach Snibbe and myself three choices: (1) to bench Alexis for the game, and Navy would bench a player of similar ability. (2) to take the game from Navy by forfeit. (3) to permit the Admiral to phone the authorities of Harvard in Cambridge. There can be no doubt that Admiral Willson repeatedly said that it would be impossible to play Alexis against the Academy, and if Harvard insisted, the Academy would forfeit the game.

Coach Snibbe and I took the last of the three choices. We then left the Admiral.

Supper that evening was served in a private dining room; athletic teams usually eat in the large hall with the rest of the midshipmen. At supper a telegram arrived, signed by William J. Bingham, the Harvard director of athletics, stating that Alexis was not to dress or play against the Naval Academy.

Alexis took the evening train from Baltimore to Boston.   (signed)   Robert B. Seidman '41, Manager.   Richard W. Snibbe, Coach.

Below is a telegram sent to the Crimson by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People joins with Harvard students in protesting obstinately enforced policy of United States Naval Academy in refusing to compete against athletic teams containing Negro members. The Naval Academy has never had the courage to meet this issue squarely, and stand upon open refusal to play against Negroes, but has hidden behind wire-pulling and subterfuge.

Typical of this practice is statement in Associated Press today of Rear Admiral Russell Willson, of Naval Academy, in trying to place blame upon Director William Bingham of Harvard. A decade ago when William Bell was lineman for Ohio State, Navy pulled wires and persuaded Ohio State to send Bell, star first-string player, to scout another team the day of the Navy game. Navy has also ducked Negro members of swimming teams from Northern colleges.

Reference by Admiral Willson to colored cadet at Annapolis illustrates Navy standard of honesty, since this lad was literally driven from the Academy by the treatment accorded him by Midshipmen and Faculty members alike. Naval Academy action is of a piece with Navy policy which restricts Negro enlistments to mess attendants only, and illustrates perfectly hypocrisy of war-cry against totalitarian cruelties while practising same doctrines here in America. Of course Harvard should have refused to play.   (signed)   Roy Wilkins,   Assistant Secretary, N.A.A.C.P.

This telegram was received from the editor of the Annapolis undergraduate publication.

Re tel.: am not in position to advise you. Suggest you address any inquiry regarding athletic policies to director of athletics.   Editor of "Shipmate."