Fran Lee Ordered to Report To Draft Board In June

TWO BACKS MAY MISS FIRST CALL

Captain Francis Lee of the Varsity football squad has been ordered to report to his local draft board on June 11 and unless he receives a further deferment between now and then he expects to be lugging a mess kit and pack for the United States Army next fall instead of a pigskin for a Dick Harlow.

Lee attempted to make the grade with the United States Marines and in that service would have been able to return to school next fall, but he was turned down several weeks ago because of color-blindness. It is not expected that this handicap will keep him from serving in the regular draftee army.

Working In Spring Practice

First string halfback and star of last year's Yale game, he has been working out regularly in spring practice sessions in Briggs Cage. His loss will be a major blow to Crimson football aspirations and when it becomes an actuality it will probably necessitate the election of a new Varsity captain.

Counteracting the news about Lee comes the report that two of Harlow's most dependable backfield men, Charley Spreyer and Hank Vander Eb may be able to return to school next fall. Both drew low numbers in the draft, but they have applied for the Marine service and are at present awaiting their acceptance papers. Vander Eb has already passed the rigorous physical exam.

Under a special arrangement, students may serve three summer months in the Marines, return to school in the fall to finish their studies and then go back in the succeeding summer to complete their military training.