Ball Team to Face B. U. After Loss to Army

ARMY SOUTHPAW FOOLS HARVARD

By George R. Clay

West Point's southpaw hurler, Johnny Atkinson, was wild to the tune of seven walks, but his slowball put such a jinx on traditional Harvard sluggers Buckley and Clay that he held the Crimson to six hits and pulled out with a 7-2 victory. He lasted out the entire game. Jack Schwede pitched the first five innings for Harvard and allowed five runs. Burgy Ayres finished the game.

Outstanding in the attempted rally against two Army scores in the first inning and three more in the fifth, Bart Harvey poled out one-third of the total Crimson hits, and deserves much of the credit for momentary successes in both the third and the ninth innings. The sixth inning looked hopeful when Atkinson issued three of his passes to fill the Crimson bases, but illusions fell through when the Army tosser fanned Ayres for the third out.

The game rested on Army's ability to bear down whenever Harvard was in scoring position, except in the third and the ninth. Schwede and Ayres together allowed one less walk than Atkinson, but Harvard hitters couldn't handle the Atkinson grapefruit well enough to bring any of them home, while the Army saw three of theirs materialize into runs.