FIRST VARSITY EIGHT DEFEATS OTHER BOATS IN TIME-TRIALS

Second And Third Shells Separated by Five Feet

In the spring's third time-trial Coach Tom Bolles' first eight showed its stern to the other three Varsity boats by a decisive distance in a workout over the rough mile and three-quarter course of the Charles River Basin late Saturday afternoon in preparation for the Rowe Cup Regatta on April 26.

The real race of the afternoon, however, centered about the second and third shells, which have yet to be separated by more than a half length in competition. Saturday the margin between stroke Jack Wilson's Jayvee outfit and Bus Curwen's third boat was estimated as about five feet by the manager who ragged the finish.

From bow to stern the Varsity lined up as of a week ago: Bruce Pirnie, Paul Penneyer, Sam Goddard, Shorm Gray, Fred Herter, Hallett Whitman, Dave Challinor, stroke Colt Wagner, and coxswain Jimmy Ducey. The absence of Tony Villa from the middle of the Jayvee eight caused considerable shifting. Jerry Prince moved up from the thirds to take his place, and Buck Anderson filled the slide of the thirds which Prince vacated.

The shells stroked by Wagner and Wilson jumped ahead at the start, but by the first half mile Wagner had a length's lead over the Jayvees, and at the finish the Varsity went over the line with perhaps two and a half lengths of open water between them and their nearest adversaries.

Thirds Just Nosed Out

Bus Curwen's third eight, composed mainly of members of last year's successful Freshman boat, fell back badly at the start, but then successively overhauled the fourth and second shells. About a hundred yards from the finish they seemed about to repeat their upset victory of a week ago, but a last-minute spurt by Wilson's Jayvees sent them over the finish, victors by a very scant margin.

The fourth Varsity, keeping up surprisingly well considering the ragged form which they displayed, finished a little more than a length behind the thirds. Generally Bolles cuts his fourth boat about this time of year, but the cut is often a difficult one when the positions on the other eights are not definitely filled.