Matthiessen Speaks Today At Sanders Peace Strike

Six Groups in Rally Against Intervention

Sanders Theater becomes strike-territory today at 11 o'clock. In a 50-minute walkout from classes, an estimated 300 Harvard and Radcliffe students will hear eight speakers oppose military intervention in the war.

From Smith College comes Frank Hankins, chairman of the Department of Sociology there and only outsider to address the demonstration. Teachers' Union President F. O. Matthiessen, associate professor of History and Literature, leads the Harvard list of speakers.

Klaw and Gardiner Too

The Strike Committee calling the meeting has also invited Spencer Klaw '41, Second Marshal and former president of the CRIMSON, together with Tudor Gardiner '40 1L, who was Senior Orator last June, to speak.

Last year's strike, the seventh in a row, broke up into two demonstrations when union-leader Mike Quill, announced as speaker by the student Union, was accused of phonographic fidelity to the Stalinist party-line. This year the Strike Committee has a broader base, being backed by the Committee Against Military Intervention, the Council for Democracy in Education, the Radcliffe Student Government, and the Radcliffe "News," as well as the two Student Unions.

Radcliffe Represented

Chairman of the rally is Miss Jane T. Pike, Radcliffe '41, who will introduce her classmate Miss Louise Sullivan, president-elect of the Radcliffe Student Government. The girls' delegation will arrive en masse.

Herbet O. Reid 1L, a Negro law student, and David P. Bennett '42, president of the H.S.U., will be followed by the concluding speaker, Robert G. Davis '29, Briggs-Copeland Instructor in English. Davis is a prime-mover of the anti-Intervention Committee for Democratic Action, composed of young Faculty members.