FREE COURSE WILL INCLUDE ARMY MAPPING

Six Talks on Cartography To Begin Here Next Week

To members of the University, and students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Institute of Geographical Exploration is offering a free course of six lectures in the use and reading of maps and serial photographs.

Given by Erwin Raisz, instructor in Geographical Exploration, the lecture series begins on Friday, May 2, and meets for two weeks at 3 o'clock on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday until Wednesday, May 14.

Military Usefulness

Particularly from a military viewpoint is the program useful, since it contains the elements of terrain-mapping required for regular army and air corps work.

The first two lectures cover scales, projection, conventional symbols, contour lines, profiles, gradients, and visibility. The military grid system and the determination of distances and azimuths are explained in the third, followed by problems of orientation, the compass and its use, and field methods in following map routes.

Finally, compass traverse is taken up with field sketching, photographing, exercises in airplane photograph reading, and an explanation of the uses of the stereoscope. Applications should be made at the Institute, 2 Divinity Avenue.