HOLCOMBE, CASNER DEBATE WHETHER U.S. SHOULD START CONVOY SYSTEM

Government Professor Demands That Congress, Not F.D.R. Decide Matter

Sending of conveys by the United States to aid England was debated by Andrew J. Casner, professor of Law, and Arthur N. Holcombe, professor of Government, over the CRIMSON Network last night.

Professor Casner first reviewed the background of the Lease-Lend Act, maintaining that America by passing this bill, committed itself to aid the democracies.

When he had affirmed that we must make more effective our decision to become the arsenal for democracy, Professor Casner, suggested as possible steps to be taken: the turning over to Britain of warships; the protection of some British interests with our fleet; a system of conveys to a half-way point; or, if necessary, shipping of supplies to England in our own ships conveyed by our navy.

Professor Holcombe, speaking against conveys, first pointed out that a very great portion of the destruction of goods sent to the British occurs after the ships carrying supplies have arrived in port, where they are subjected to bombing attacks before or during the process of unloading their cargoes.

"If the United States is to assume the obligation of guaranteeing delivery of goods, half measures or less than half measures will not be enough" he continued. "It will be necessary to protect merchant ships wherever they may be. This will involve our government in naval and military operations of unpredictable extent."

After indicating that he thought it desirable that the United States be better informed concerning British war aims before engaging in war Professor Holcombe stated "The second objection, therefore, to convoying munitions ships by American war vessels at this time is that it would bring the United States into the war without due knowledge of the aims of the powers with which we would be associated."

After concluding that any action in regard to conveys should be taken by the Congress and not simply by executive order, in order not to disregard the real wishes of the people, Professor Holcombe said, "We cannot save democracy by flouting the spirit of democracy."