Letter of Resignation

Since the outbreak of the war, Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh has consistently spoken as one of the foremost advocates of American isolation. Such a position, to say the least, must be open to question, in view of the fact that the average American has shown extreme concern for the crisis of a fellow-democracy. Some, indeed, have expressed their concern in a denunciation of Colonel Lindbergh's views as extremist, if not completely in sympathy with the American proto-fascist ideology. Perhaps many feel that Lindbergh's resignation from the Army Air Corps constitutes good riddance plain and simple. Certainly the U. S. Army on a war footing is scarcely the ideal podium from which to launch an attack on intervention. Nevertheless, no matter what may be our individual and collective attitudes towards isolation, we must applaud Colonel Lindbergh's letter of resignation as a dignified statement from a fellow-citizen in our democracy. This statement is thrown into even sharper relief by the circumstances which brought it about. The President's vilifying personal remarks will do him no good ultimately. Today they stand as rather sorry commentary on a public servant whose usual taste and breeding do not oblige him to seek such questionable levels of expression.