WAR AIMS, PEACE PROBLEMS ARE BEING DISCUSSED BY HARVARD DEFENSE GROUP

Pan-American, Youth, and Labor Committees Set Up by Organization

War aims and the problems of the next peace are now receiving the consideration of a group of experts associated with American defense, Harvard Group, according to a six-month's activity report issued today by that organization.

A committee under Sidney B. Fay, professor of History, has been having regular meetings for several months and has surveyed three general problems: (1) international organization to secure peace; (2) economic and financial measures to promote international trade and economic collaboration; and (3) political boundaries.

In a printed summary of the work that some 1006 members of the Cambridge community have accomplished under the direction of Ralph Barton Perry, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy the creation of a number of other new committees was also disclosed.

A committee on Pan-American relations, directed by Ross A. McFarland, professor of Industrial Research, will stimulate the study of inter-American trade relations, the extension of teaching of Spanish and Portuguese, an increase in the number of exchange students and professors, and the extending of hospitality to Latin-American visitors. A second committee headed by E. Merrick Dodd, professor of Law, has been created to study the problem of labor disputes in defense industries, and a third on youth problems, jointly led by William S. McCauley, instructor in Government, and Alan Gottlieb '41, former president of the Liberal Union.

The report released today reiterated the purpose and policies of American defense, Harvard Group. The foreign policy of the Administration was supported, appeasement was attacked, and increased support to Great Britain, the British dominions, China and Greece was urged.