STIPENDS FOR SUMMER STUDY IN HEMISPHERE

College, Experiment Group Present Four $500 Awards

Seeking to increase the understanding of Latin American countries by undergraduates, the University and the Experiment in International Living have combined to offer four scholarships of $500 each to enable the winners to spend a summer in Brazil, Peru, Columbia, Guatemala, or Mexico, according to a statement released last night by Dean Hanford. The statement follows in full.

"Four scholarships of $500 each are being offered by the cooperation of the Experiment in International Living and Harvard College to enable a few students to accompany one of the Experiment Groups which will spend the summer in one of the following countries: Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico. The purposes of the scholarships are to provide students in the United States with an opportunity of studying the culture of a South American country through first-hand contact with its people, of making friends in another country by living in selected homes in that country, and of improving one's spoken knowledge of a foreign language.

"Two of the scholarships will be awarded to Seniors; the other two will be assigned to members of the Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior Classes. Preference will be given to men who have studied Spanish or Portuguese, although this will not constitute an absolute requirement for a student who is otherwise especially well qualified Other qualifications are (1) Dean's List standing or, in the case of Seniors, candidacy for honors; (2) leadership and initiative as shown by extra-curricular activities and individual interests; (3) the ability to get along with one's associates; (4) an interest in international relations.

"Application blanks for the scholarships and further information may be obtained by inquiry at the Information Desk, 4 University Hall. The applications are due at 4 University Hall by 5 o'clock on April 21.

"There are also a few places in the Experiment groups available for students who are able to pay their own way without the assistance of a scholarship. Such students should apply directly to Mr. Donald Watt, Director, The Experiment in International Living, Putney, Vermont, on or before April 15."