Underdog Cindermen Defeat Big Green; Batsmen Slug Way to Princeton Victory

'Trio' Stars as Team Wins 10 of 15 Firsts

By J. ROBERT Moskin

The terrific trio of Donahue, Pfister and Pirnie chalked up 33 markers Saturday afternoon as Harvard's long-shot track team deflected Dartmouth's ninth consecutive invasion of the Stadium in the past three decades by a 76 1/3 to 58 2/3 count.

With the highly-touted Indian attack bogged down on the soggy track, Jaakko Mikkola's defenders slashed through to win ten of the fifteen firsts and reverse the Big Green's 66-42 indoor conquest last winter. They even surpassed Dartmouth's nine out of twelve wins of that meet.

Houghton Receives Prize

After the meet Bob Houghton received his teammates award of a Sav carton for the best showing of the afternoon. His 4:30 mile run, netting him a second, was one of the best Harvard times for the distance in the past few years.

At Andover, the Freshmen repeated their winter's second place in a triangular meet with the Blue and Dartmouth's first year men. Although Andover's young Harvey Kelsey with his 9.5 in the 100 and 21.1 in the 220-yard dash was the counter's star, Ed Mahoney, Bob Gillette, and Steve Gilfford copped Crimson firsts. Final score read Andover 59 5-6, Harvard 49 1-6, and Dartmouth 45.

Donahue Sparks Varsity

Captain Donahue high - scored the Varsity meeting with 13 tallies through his hurdles' grand slam, doing the 120-yard lows in 15.3 and the 220-highs in a mediocre 24.7 seconds, and a second place in the furlong dash. In the two timber races his teammates Roger Schafer and Don MacKinnon exchanged seconds and thirds for a Crimson sweep of the events.

Husky Dick Pflster showed surprising form with the shot as he putted his best distance of 48 feet 6 3/4 inches after hurling the discus for a 139 feet 7 2/3 inch win.

Supporting veterans Donahue and Pflster, Sophomore Doug Pirnie accumulated ten points with a twin killing in the dashes at 9.9 and 21.8 clockings, the former marking his best official time for the century. A horde of novice Sophomores, seeing their first Varsity competition, formed the vital backbone of Mikkola's aggregation. Although pole vaulter Mike Ford and blond Bob Chase in the hammer were the only two of the group to win their events, a mass of seconds and thirds prevented Dartmouth sweeping any event but the broad jump.

The closest the visitors came to victory was when tiny Sid Bull won the two-mile rum and tied up the meet at 36-all. It was the afternoon's thriller with the favored Bull taking the lead from Bob Jay on the second lap. Jay clung to his heels throughout the next six turns and on the final back stretch made his bid. They ran the stretch neck-and-neck but at the fast curve Bull's long, smooth stride wore down his opponent and Bull cut the string ten yards ahead.

Rolla Campbell, in the following 880 pulled Harvard back in the lead with a 1:58.9 performance that knocked off Dartmouth's Captain Dick Howard. The Crimson sweep of the low hurdles, next on the program, clinched the contest