OLD PERUVIAN RELICS SHOWN

The Peabody Museum Saturday placed on special exhibit on important collection of early Peruvian pottery, textiles and figurines recently acquired by the Museum through the generosity of an anonymous donor. The pieces date mostly from the Nazca period of around 1000 A.D., but there are also objects from other periods, including a polychrome vessel from the Parcas culture of 500 A.D. and a much later wool bag coming from the Inca culture and dating from about 1400.

The collection includes, besides the Paracas polychrome jar in the shape of a human face, two early Nazca bags in rich reds and greens, one with a rythmic pattern of liamas, and a splendidly designed polychrome vessel with a painting of lima bean shoots on it. Another vessel is ornamented with a serpent pattern. A large female figures from Chancay shows the sophistication of Peruvian coastal art about 1200 A.D. Four smaller figurines showing costume types complete the collection. Also on exhibit is another object of great rarity at present on loan in the Museum. It is the figure of a Jaguar carved in green turquoise in the Chavin style of about 800 A.D.