Scullers to Compete In Darcy Cup Races

Six Weeks Training Course Sees Big Turnout at Weld

Inspired by the guidance and coaching of Blake Dennison, head of Weld Boat House, the University sculling squad has come forth to make its best showing in recent years. For the first time a large number of men have come out for six-weeks training period in preparation for the recent Intercollegiate Sculling Meet.

Because of the large turnout this year, the squad has had to restrict its best boats to the fastest men. To make the squad, a candidate must row a four mile course in thirty minutes. This very feat, itself, according to Dennison, has encouraged a great many men to follow the sport.

In the recent intercollegiate meet, number one man, George N. Hurd '42 swept the river to give the Crimson runner-up position to Princeton's Dick Hartshorne. Hurd led his Tiger opponent almost all the way but fell behind at the very end to trail Hartshorne by a mere half length.

This week will feature the awarding of the Darcy Cup to the winner of the 1 1/2 mile race Friday afternoon. The preliminary race will be held tomorrow afternoon over a 3/4 mile course, and the winners will be allowed to compete for the cup two days later.