Trackmen Beat Eli, in Last Meet; Smash Three Harvard Records

Captain Donahue Sets Hurdle Marker

Clinging tenanciously to the heels of Yale's Varsity for 13 nip and tuck events, Harvard's undefeated track squad went over the top in the final pair, the broad jump and Javelin, and scored a 70 1/2 to 64 1/2 upset in the forty-eighth contest between the traditional rivals.

The Elis led with two competitions to go 59 1/2 to 57 1/2, after Harvard had pulled up mightily in the later events. The broad, next on the program, set Harvard into the lead when Dave Ives leaped 23 feet 1/8 inches and sprinter Dough Pirnie raised his meet total to 13 markers with a second. The Crimson then led 65 1/5 to 60 1/2 and needed a second in the final event to win.

Lacey Saves Meet

Tom Lacey and his sore arm, which has still not recovered from the pull it received against Dartmouth two weeks ago, were to decide the outcome, when in form, Lacey could have won the event with no trouble at all, but his bandaged throwing arm limited him to one toss for the vital second. As his teammates and spectators clustered around expectantly, Lacey took the Javelin without any preparatory throws and tossed it for a meet-winning 184 feet 8 1/2 inches, 7 feet further than Yale's Phil Freeman.

Fastest performance of the day was turned in by the victorious visitors' Captain Don Donahue who established an accepted 120-yard high hurdle record at 14.5 seconds, one tenth briefer than Gene Record's Harvard run of 1932. Donahue now holds a hurdle sweep having set the Crimson low hurdle mark last spring at 23.6 for the 220 yards.

The proof of the pudding is that three Harvard records were smashed Saturday afternoon. However, it was not some shot in the arm which set such a high standard but a strong wind swirling down the dash stretch. Aided thusly Donahue unofficially broke his low hurdle record by racing the distance in 23.3 seconds three tenths better than his old mark, Roger Schafer, who finished second to Donahue, made the distance in 12.4.

Third record broken in the meet, the second unofficially, was Doug Pirnie's 20.7 for the 220-yard dash. The recognized Harvard mark is 21.4 Pirnie also dashed the 100 in 9.7, two seconds better than anything he has done before, and jumped a second in the broad to take the meet's individual scoring honors.

In general the events went as expected with Harvard doing a point or two better than foreseen throughout the encounter. According to Hoyle, the visitors held a four point lead in the field events their strongest department; but their two point margin in the running sector was quite unexpected considering Yale's sweep of the 440-yard dash.

Prinie and Donahue were double winners here as expected, but the performance which proved the most spectacular upset and pleased the Crimson above all dope sheet predictions for the first time during the afternoon was Bob Houghton's triumphant 4:29.6 mile run. Bucking the wind on the back stretch, Houghton finally nosed out Yale's favored Mac Main by a foot, with Bob Young running another length behind him.