CHARLES RIVER CHURNINGS

By John C. Bullard

Albert L. "Bobby" Lincoln will lead next year's 150-pound crew as a result of his selection as captain of Bert Haines' lightweights for 1942. Lincoln rowed four on this year's record breaking boat, although previous to that his College rowing experience was practically a blank.

Lincoln lives in Chestnut Hill and prepared at Noble and Greenough, where he stroked the school four for two years, captaining it his first class year. Freshman year he was unable to row out of Nowell, but won the College Junior singles title, last year he was rowing on the heavy squad until the spring vacation, when he was dropped. Coming back to College this fall, Lincoln tried out for the 150-pound squad, and through losing twelve pounds, was able to make the boat.

Bill Atchley Wins Competition

William A. Atchley '43 has been announced winner of the Sophomore managerial competition, and will receive his major H for managing the crew his Senior year. Atchley prepared at Milton and lives in Eliot House. Runner up in the competition was Robert W. Perkins '43 of Winthrop House and Boston.

Winner of the Freshman competition, which was also announced at the managers' annual dinner Saturday night, was Russell A. Sibley '44 of Rochester and Straus Hall. Like most crew managers, Sibley attended Milton. William E. Bright ran second and will receive minor numerals for managing the Freshman fifties Bright went to Middlesex, and lives in Straus. His home is in Worcester.

New Shell for the Varsity

Following Saturday's decisive victory, the Varsity was rewarded yesterday by a warm-up in the new shell they will race at New London. This makes everyone happy for the Jayvees get the Varsity shell and so on down the line, each eight getting a better boat than the one they were rowing in previously.

The latest addition to the Crimson ravy is a George Pocock eight, the gift of Robert F. Herrick '90, Harvard rowing's angel. If Crimson shells were named by their donors as they are in most colleges, Tom Bolles would have to figure out some way of cataloging the slim mahogany craft, for Mr. Herrick has been supplying shells now for longer than most people can remember.

As it is there are only a few changes on the new boat. One is a gadget on the stretchers calculated to make shifting them to fit individual oarsmen less difficult, and the other is the addition or laminated washboards instead of solid ones. The new shell is marked on the stern "P 85," which means it is the eighty-fifth shell in order of acquisition, and that it was built by Pocock. Below these cryptic figures is a "41," standing of course for the year in which it was first used.

Combination Eight Picked

Only one Freshman will row on this year's combination eight, made up of members of the second Freshmen an third Varsity, who go to New London to act as reserves for the boats who race Yale. They also have a private race of their own with their Eli counterparts the night before the Varsity race. He is stocky Harborn Stuart, who has been rowing in the waist of the second Yardling eight. Steward rows both sides and in addition was setting the pace in the third Freshmen earlier in the year, and so should fit into any task Harvey's Love should set for him. Meantime, he will row two on the combos, coached by Bert Haines.

The crews leave for Red Top Friday accompanied by managers, launch drivers and waiters, and will work out on the Thames until the objective race with Yale on Saturday, June 14.

Wilson Wins Darcy Cup

Weld boat house, although it seldoms gains the publicity accorded its upstream neighbor, remains a very integral part of the Harvard rowing picture, boating many more men a day than Newell. The climax of the Weld season occured last week when the finals of the college singles races were run off. In the most important race of the regatta, for the Darcy Memorial Cup, given this year for the first time, Phil Wilson upset the dope by edging George Hurd, the favorite by a quarter length over the mile course. Harry Hammond took the Junior singles title for the three quarters, and Benny Hubbard upset the dope again by shading last year's 155-pound favorite, Beanie Gilchrist, in the lightweight division Hughes Call won the Nevice singles and Peter Gray the wherries.