ON THE SHELF

If Judgment Comes, by Alfred Noyes. Frederick A. Stokes Co., 46 p.p., $1.50.

By E. G.

The December issue of the Guardian, designed to catch the eyes of delegates to the National Student Merger Convention, is outstanding in all but its editorial. The latter is the Guardian's first official statement of opinion in three years, and deals with the fact that America is at war. Although it was necessary that the usually impartial and impassive political magazine take some sort of stand on such big things as war declarations, the rare expression of opinion says little that has not been heard many times recently, and says it with a calm lack of inspiration.

This lazy call to the colors is far surpassed, however, by all six articles. In a readable style greatly improved over his previous contribution to the Guardian, Edward Ames '42 warns liberals of the "Lean Years" that the war will bring, and urges them not to develop a habit of slighting labor, as a result of the war effort.

In a lead article planned especially for the Merger Convention, Adam Yarmolinsky '43 describes the Merger's origin and purpose. In a terse, almost Baconian manner, he holds that the benefits of student political organizations are four-fold: They aid the exchange of ideas, create publicity, benefit national unity, and have emotional value for the participants.

Professor Hocking's article on "A Positive Role for America" is excused by a statement to the effect that it was written before the United States entered the war. Although the style is quite flat, the content is provocative, suggesting the possibility of an acceptable negotiated peace. Professor Hocking urges against taking a too bloodthirsty attitude towards our enemies, and believes that it may be possible to negotiate Hitler out of office.

Mark Schlefer '43 has an interesting and colorful account of Harvard's adventure at Fore River, in the recent campaigning for the C.I.O.

"Defense Economics," by Seymour Harris, professor of Economics, and "British Colonies and the War," by Marcus James '43 are both brief, dull, but thoroughly factual, and provide a worthwhile variation from the Guardian's tendency to emphasize theoretical material, a fault which has occurred more consistently in the past than in the current issue.