Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

5 PROFESSORS GIVEN DEGREES

Harvard bids fair to steal the spotlight at next September's Fiftieth Anniversary celebration at the University of Chicago. Five professors here, the largest contingent from any university in the country, are scheduled to receive honorary degrees for their achievements in science and scholarship, it was announced yesterday.

Included in the Harvard group are three scientists, one philosopher, and an historian of ideas. They are George D. Birkhoff '05, dean of the Faculty of. Arts and Sciences and Perkins Professor of Mathematics; Reginald A. Daly; Sturgis Hooper Professor of Geology; Karl. S. Lashley, professor of Neuropsychology; Clarence I. Lewis '06, professor of Philosophy; and Charles H. McIlwain, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government.

Contributor to Dynamics

Dean Birkhoff, contributor to the fundamentals of dynamics, is a past president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and of the American Mathematical Society. He earned his doctorate at Chicago in 1907, and has taught here since 1912. Recognized as one of America's leading mathematicians, he has been a dean for six years.

The name of Professor McIlwain is almost synonomous with the study of "Constitutionalism, Ancient and Modern," as his latest volume is entitled. Best known for his "Growth of Political Thought in the West" and his "High Court of Parliament," he was awarded a Pulitzer Prize in American history for a study of "The American Revolution" in 1923.

Daly Physical Geologist

Regarded as a world authority on rocks and glaciers, Professor Daly is a past president of the American Geological Society and in 1938 published "The Architecture of the 'Earth," a study culminating his international studies in physical geology.

Known for his work in symbolic logic, Lowis is the author of "Mind and the World-Order," was an officer in World War 1, and has been teaching here for 20 years.