Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Friedrich Advises Cross Propaganda

Advocates Attack to Lower Morale of Germany, France

Pointing out the effect of Nazi propaganda on the United States in "The Poison in Our System" lead article of the current issue of the "Atlantic," Carl Joachim Friedrich, professor of Government, advocates a counter attack by the Americas to undermine the morale of Hitler's followers.

"We should broadcast twenty-four hours, in French and German, on the most powerful beam to Europe," the professor remarked. "Over and over we should repeat the facts of our defense effort. We should continuously ship into Europe quantities of printed material, even if only one-tenth of it reached its destination."

Such efforts according to Friedrich, cannot hope to overthrow Hitler, but they can help to maintain the morale of America's friends and the believers in a democratic future. Even more urgent would be the destruction of the Nazi morale, itself. The task is not impossible, and it is only by effort that we can realize its potentialities.

The Battle of Britain and the Battle of the Atlantic are minor in importance to the battle of and for the Mind of America, the professor pointed out. The difficulty in dealing with Nazi propaganga results from the fact that Hitler's methods are not understood since he builds upon the cynical insight of human frailties.

In spreading his propaganda, Friedrich declared, Hitler does not assert what he wishes us to believe; he assumes it in his statements. To implant the idea that the Nazis will win the war, he does not say that "Germany will win" but instead "after the war, America should trade with a victorious Germany."

To defeat the purpose of Nazi propaganda, Friedrich noted, the United States people must be made to understand the methods of totalitarian propaganda. When America acquires the skill of discriminating judgment, then it will be impregnated against totalitarian temptations.