Purple Moundsman Downs Yardlings 4-3

Crusader Pitcher Strikes Out 12 Crimson Freshmen

By Dan H. Fenn

Sparked by the hitting and pitching of their tall blond hurler, Chet Wasilewski, the Holy Cross Freshmen edged out the Crimson Yearlings, 4 to 3 Saturday afternoon at Soldiers Field.

Wasilewski, who hit a triple, a double, and reached on the catcher's error in four times at the plate, proceeded to fan 12 Yardlings, who were whiffing wildly at the big fellow's offerings. Warren Berg, Yardling hurler, pitched good enough ball to win, allowing but three walks, but the Crimson made five errors, and gave him equally poor support at the plate.

The home forces scored twice in the first, and it began to look like a rout, but the Purple moundsman tightened up, and whiffed two men in a row. Only other Crimson tally came in the sixth when Captain Ned Fitzgibbons reached on a fielder's choice, and came home when Paul Quinn's single to center stretched out into a three-bagger by way of a fielder's choice and an error by the first baseman. In their half of the sixth, the Crusaders scored two runs on a walk, a single, and an error by the third baseman.

Things began to brighten up for the Yardlings in the eighth when Dean, batting for left-fielder Walt Wilson, pounded out a double to left with one away. Although he advanced to third on Al Evert's sacrifice bunt, he died on base when Ned Fitzgibbons popped out to the short-stop.