MacKinney, Matters Win Student Council Elections

KEITH, PEABODY, PHINIZY, BUNKER, BRIDGE CHOSEN

Loren G. MacKinney '42 and Thomas Matters '43 led their respective classes in the Student Council elections, the results of which were released last night. MacKinney piled up 261 of the 462 votes cast to defeat his nearest rival, Eugene D. Keith, by 44 votes. Matters had things even more his own way, enjoying a 73-vote lead over second place John W. Sullivan.

The great number of nominees, especially in the Sophomore class, resulted in a split of the voting, and except for Matters, the ballotting tended to be spread overly thin in the '43 voting.

MacKinney lives in Eliot House and is a resident of Chapel Hill, N. C. Keith, a resident of Leverett, also comes from the South. His home is Richmond, Ky. Third in the Junior voting was Endicott Peabody II of Syracuse, New York and Eliot House. Coles H. Phinizy of Ventnor, N. J. and Kirkland House, nosed out John P. Bunker of West Roxbury and Dunster House for fourth place, and Charles S. Bridge of Franklin, O. and Eliot House was the sixth Junior to qualify.

Matters lives in Lowell House and comes to Harvard from Great Neck, L. I. Sullivan resides in Adams House and hails from Caribou, Me. Third in the Sophomore election was Adelbert Ames III '43, a member of Eliot House who hails from Hanover, N. H.