'45 Will Learn at Radcliffe, Move West When Expert

by the CRIMSON Advice to the Love Lorn

Editor

"At Tupelo tradition goes

That if they don't propose,

You pick them up and throw them in

All in their Sunday clothes."

Tupelo is an ultra-romantic spot on the shores of Lake Waban, otherwise known as Wellesley pond. There the wily Wellesley lassies will in traditional manner seek to entrap the Class of '45 on balmy spring nights.

But by spring the true Harvard Freshman should have inured himself to the charms of our neighbors 14 miles to the north-west and quite probably will have moved on the greener fields of Northampton, Bennington, and Poughkeepsie.

The Harvard Freshman's love-life moves by stages. First comes Radcliffe, a sort of practice era during which he learns about Boston's subway system and horn-rimmed glasses. A bit of advice: go through this stage on the q.t. without boasting of your conquests. You may not be so proud of them in years to come.

After the Radcliffe stage and following a few experimental trips to the Raymor the Freshman almost invariably moves to Wellesley, a veritable paradise after the hell he has been through. In this stage he learns about Seller's, the Sandy Burr Country Club, and the lure of Boston nightclubs for Wellesley students. Wellesley students always want to go in to Boston, even if only for a half an hour. The Freshman will also come into contact with minimums and cover charges.

Other Pastures

Either one of the first two stages may last for the duration of the student's Cambridge stay, be that three months or four years. Some very fine people have been known to start with Radcliffe and cling to it till graduation, and many of those have ended up graduating summa cum laude. And after a man has advanced to an advanced stage he may still drop back into a lesser period of development.

Often it takes several years before the Genus Harvardianus sees the light and follows Horace Greeley's advice. Somewhere off in the wilds of New England lie Smith and Bennington, the one 90 miles away, the other 200. Then, just across the state border lies the third of the green field trio, Vassar, 213.5 miles from Cambridge. These three colleges are inhabited by Powers-worthy beauties and an unfortunate number of Yale, Princeton, Amherst, Williams, and Dartmouth men. Their very difficulty of attainment lends them a charm.

The final stage is the "back home again in disillusionment" period, when either Radcliffe or local talent becomes the goal of the world-weary Harvard man. It is at this point that he discovers the naive beauty of the Pine Manor belle. She's always dumb but often rich, and though her regulations are stupidly strict, she can be persuaded to "check out to the library" on warm evenings.

Erskine, Sargent, the Stuart Club, Katy Gibbs, Garland, and Lasell are also located round about, wasting their sweetness on the Boston air. They are within range of the Boston Elevated. Brother can you spare a dime?