REGISTRATION CLOSES TODAY

College Makes Changes To Meet Defense Needs

Although enrollment in the University is expected to be reduced approximately one tenth by the demands of the present crisis, Memorial Hall will have its biggest workout of the year today when an estimated 5,000 upper-classmen and graduate students return to register for a new year of University life.

Of all the branches of the University, the Law School has suffered the greatest drop in enrollment, with last year's figure of 1,248 down to 800. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is also expected to suffer a drop of about 200.

The extent to which National Defense will effect the life of the University can be judged by the special regulations which have been adopted to meet the unusual demands of the day.

Draftees to Get Refunds

Fees for the quarter in which they leave will be refunded to students who are called for military or other national defense service during the year, for one thing. Also, the road to a degree has been streamlined by a vote of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences which has decided to grant special concessions to "honors students and other approved students of high standing who wish to complete the requirements for the Bachelor's degree in three years rather than the customary four years."

Despite the drop throughout the other classes, when the final count is completed the College expects to find its largest Freshman class since 1932. College authorities have tried to maintain the student body at nearly normal levels by increasing the Yardling quota.