"Club" Peabody Injured; Vander Eb is Back on Grid

First Line Strong; Backfield is Green

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

Harvard's gridiron hopes suffered another blow yesterday when Club Peabody, one of the best guards Coach Dick Harlow has had in recent years, was carried off the field with a body injury which will keep him out of action for an indefinite period. Partially offsetting this news came the appearance of place kick specialist Hank Vander Eb on the practice gridiron for the first time this season.

For a time it was uncertain as to whether Vander Eb would play or not this fall on account of his recent marriage, but it appears now that he will be out booting the extra points for the Crimson after all.

First String Line Good

Peabody was injured in a 45-minute scrimmage between teams A and B. The doctors are not certain as yet of the extent of his bruise, which may or may not be serious. Coach Dick Harlow expressed pleasure at the way his experienced first-string line performed yesterday, but the backfield was composed for the most part of Sophomores and substitutes, except for Captain Franny Lee. However, he singled out Dave Goldwaite, who was playing on the first team today in the absence of both Ted Lyman and George Heiden, for praise. Sophomore Cleo O'Donnell, son of the former Holy Cross and St. Anselm's coach, was also complimented for his work in the wingback slot. He was recently transferred from tailback on account of the injury of Gordy Lyle, Ray Guild, and Greely Summers, not to speak of Harry Tine, another prospect. In the line, rugged Tom Gardiner was on the receiving end of a Harlow pat on the back.

Another highlight of the scrimmage was the reappearance of Johnny Page in his center slot. Although "Swede" Anderson, converted fullback, started, Page saw some service at the close of the session. Bill Barnes was jogging through signals, and Ray Guild was trotting around the field under the watchful eye of a trainer, so the squad may be at its full strength within the next few days except for Peabody and Ayres. In the before-scrimmage workout, Harlow stressed pass offense and defense.

Team A: le MacKinney; lt Miller; lg Peabody and Rowe; c Anderson and Page; rg Pfister; rt Gardiner; re Morgan and Forte; bb Goldthwalte; tb Lee and Wilson; fb Johnson; wb O'Donnell and Gifford.

Team B: le Putnam; lt Rogstad; lg Sosman; c Lawson; rg Goethals; rt Mallett; re D. Wilson and Farley; qb Strezynski; tb Ainsworth; fb Fisher; wb Bridge.