Injured Grid Veterans Return For First Full Scrimmage

O'DONNELL STARS IN "A" BACKFIELD

End Bull Barnes and blocking back Ted Lyman returned to real activity during the long-hour scrimmage through which Dick Harlow sent his charges yesterday afternoon. Both men had been off contact work for some time, victims of the plague of minor injuries which have been annoying the coaching staff.

Chub Peabody also took his old place at left guard, but the center of the Crimson forward wall is still wide open. Sophomore Mark Beobe and Senior Bill LaCroix saw action on teams A and B as Burgy Ayres still restricted himself to conditioning work with trainer Jimmy Cox and "Swede" Anderson, and Johnny Page took a day off.

Practice Seems Slower

Cleo O'Donnell, still in a gray jersey, was the fourth member of an otherwise veteran backfield, but the diminutive Sophomore produced several long runs which highlighted the A's attack. Neither George Heiden nor Dick Pflster scrimmaged, and in their absence the A team seemed to lack some of the drive of earlier performances.

In an effort to snap the team into condition for its opening game with Penn a week from Saturday, the coaches have been neglecting signal drill in favor of conditioning exercises. So many of the players have been out for a few days at a time with slight injuries that Harlow feels that physically the squad is below par.

Harlow put especial emphasis on punt covering, sending his first two lines down under the towering spirals of Loren MacKinney, who was spelled by Frannie Leo and Steve Gifford. In addition, time was spent on pass offense and defense, and a "piecemeal" scrimmage, where only key men make their blocks, was also used.

Chief Boston, faced with the biggest Freshman squad in years, is planning to cut his charges to 35 before the end of the week so that his material will be in a workable form.

Team A: le MacKinney; lt Miller; lg Peabody, Rowe; c Beobe; rg Grunig; rt Gardiner; re Forte; bb Lyman; tb Lee; fb McNicol; wb O'Donnell.

Team B: le Barnes; lt Hibbert, Shattuck; lg Rowe, Aldrich; c LaCroix; rg Goethals; rt Stannard; re Morgan; bb Goldthwait; tb Wilson, Whittier; wb Gifford; fb Johnson, Cowen.