Sharp Curves Behind

The tortuous twistings of the Student Union line have been hard enough to follow in the last few years. Last night's flip-flop, one might imagine, should have proved a little difficult for even the most hardened joy-riders in the cab of the famous Locomotive of History. The Executive Committee's report, however, passed with all the ease and speed of a motion to adjourn. The Union found itself unanimously agreed that "the goal of all persons wishing to preserve democracy and the freedom of the peoples of the world must be the military defeat of Hitler." On May 31, 1941, the last public statement by the Union, before the summer vacation, declaimed: "We protest President Roosevelt's speech. We protest his attempt to belittle the desires of the American people to keep America at peace. . . ." Since then, we have been informed, the character of the war has changed.

The present policy of the Student Union (barring sudden changes since we went to press) reads very well. The action program outlined at last night's meeting sounds impressive. A student unfamiliar with the past history of the H.S.U. might be persuaded to join up on this basis. But a student who recalls last winter's "No Wilson Promises" buttons and last spring's peace strike will think twice before choosing the Student Union to express his opposition to fascism, at home and abroad. The line may turn again, suddenly.