BOLLES LOSES FRED HERTER

Crews on Charles As Fall Practice Gets Under Way

By John C. Bullard

Harvard crews hit the water yesterday afternoon for the first time since New London, with Tom Bolles already making plans about how to run the Crimson's streak over its Blue rivals to seven straight next June. Graduation has accounted for three of last year's undefeated eight, and while Uncle Sam has skipped over the oarsmen, the Harvard Medical School has claimed the services of Fred Herter, stalwart heavyweight who rowed on the Varsity the first half of last year.

In addition there are well over 200 candidates out of the Freshman class who have signed up for rowing, and this should give the Yardlings' mentor, Harvey Love, plenty of work for the fall season.

"No Perfect Crew Man"

The Varsity and 150-lb. crews will work into November when the strokes will draw lots and pick their crews for the annual one-mile race which concludes the fall season. In the meantime Bolles will spend his time trying to improve what many thought to be an impeccable crew last spring. "There is no such thing as a perfect crew man," says Bolles, and until the studious mastermind of Harvard rowing finds eight of them Harvard will continue to row in the fall, and probably after.

Captain Ted Lyman is the only Varsity candidate in College who is not rowing this fall, since Ted is finding plenty to do for Dick Harlow across Soldiers Field road. But back from last year's first boat are stroke Bus Curwen, who is going to put in a couple of months' rowing before reporting to Hal Ulen for swimming, Dave Challinor at seven, Hallett Whitman six, Paul Pennoyer two, and Tom Boynton coxswain.

Fitz, Erskine, Prince Back

From last year's Jayvees, who also finished their schedule undefeated, only Reggie Fitz, John Erskine, Gerry Prince, and coxswain Jimmy Ducey are back in College to help plug the holes in the first boat.

Captain Sherm Gray, Sam Goddard, and Bruce Pirnie are the men who won Yale shirts at New London and graduated but last year's crew was noted for its depth, and their places can probably be filled adequately, although it will be a difficult job.

Hal Fales, who stroked the second 150's is the only man expected back at College this year who is among the missing, and Bert Haines, who had bulit up his crews from the bottom last year, has a sizable nucleus with which to work, barring further encroachments either govermental or scholastic, on his material.

Last year's meeting between the Crimson and the Blue was a vital one, for the two were tied at 39 victories apiece. By winning Harvard went ahead for the first time in the memory of any undergraduate, and at the same time Tom Bolles toppled his Washington rival Ed Leader below the .500 mark with a record of nine and ten to show for his 19 years at Yale. Bolles' particular record stands at a dead heat with Syracuse, one loss to Navy, and two to Cornell during his tenure as Dean of Newell boat house, and Leader is still trying to piece together an eight which will give the Rolles-coached Crimson a licking.