Post-War Council Plans Nationwide Magazine to Discuss Bases of Peace

Interest in Organization's Ideas Grows Among Colleges

Planning expansion on a nationwide scale, the Harvard Council on Post-war Problems has issued and distributed to colleges throughout the country a pamphlet outlining the nature of its work and sketching the prospectus of a national magaine to publish college work on the subject.

Widespread public interest in the movement is indicated both in the response from other college campuses to the initial publication of the group, and, on a larger scale, in letters to national newspapers praising the idea.

In a letter entitled "For Peace With A Purpose" in the Herald "Tribune last Saturday, Joseph P. Lyford '41 extolled the movement for its realistic start and its avoidance of the visionary pitfalls of more radical college political groups.

Practical Bases for Peace

As outlined in the opening pamphlet, the purpose of the group is to formulate the practical basis of the "present American Crusade." Its main premise is that if we are to make this a more worth while war than the last one we must understand the reasons for our failure to make a lasting peace in 1919, an from these facts determine the lines of the world we want.

The present plan is to coordinate the work of all student organizations devoted to winning the peace through the magazine. Contributions will come from all over the country, and likewise the magazine will be distributed on all campuses. In this way it is hoped to give genuine unity to the widespread desire of college students everywhere to "fight for a just world."

In developing its contacts with other colleges the group is working in close cooperation with the Student League of America and International Student Service. The plan is that the magazine can serve as the clearing house for existing groups studying post-war problems, rather than attempting to build up such groups from scratch. In this way duplication of existing work can be avoided and the magazine can perform a function that is not being done.

The magazine, at least in its early stages, will stand for no particular blue-print of the future world, but will air all views. Its only principle, as outlined in the preamble of the pamphlet will be guaranteeing liberty and equality in the world by whatever means possible.

Present plans indicate that the magazine will be published in late February. The initial financial expenses are being provided by a financing committee in New York.