MERMEN DUNK FAVORED BRUIN TANKERS TO GAIN THIRD WIN

Eusden, McCuthean Star; Yardlings Also Triumph

It was a highly tonted Brown swimming team that invaded Cambridge on Wednesday night. Paced by a large group of Sophomore stars, the Bruins seemed to have one of the strongest teams they have been able to boast in many a year, and one of those anyone can-win meets was generally expected in swimming circles.

The expected, however, did not occur. Allowing their opponents only three first places out of a possible nine, the Ulenmen rang up a 53 to 22 win and, incidentally, their third straight victory in the current campaign. Prior to the Varsity meet, the Yardlings defeated the Brown Freshmen by the equally decisive margin of 52 to 19.

McCutcheon, Eusden Star

For the Crimson Varsity, "Big John" Eusden and Shaw McCutcheon were the individual stars. Eusden contributed 10 points to his team's total when he won the 50 and 100 yard free style, the latter in the excellent time of 54.8 seconds. McCutcheon, on his part, showed midseason form in compiling a grand total of 116.5 points in the diving event to finish far ahead of any of his competitors.

Phil Carson, Brown's white hope, lived up to his advance notices in taking the 220 and 440 yard free style. Carson had little trouble in beating out "Tiny" Gorman and Bus Curwen in the Former race, but the 440 proved to be quite another story.

Sophomore Dave Barnes, Hal Ulen's main entry in that event, refused to will before Carson's blistering pace and stayed close to the heels of the Bruin star throughout the first 400 yards. With only 40 yards to go, Barnes turned on everything he had left, but it was not quite enough, and Carson took the race by some two tenths of a second.