Hockey Team Drops 'Social Series' to Princeton Sextet

Crimson Takes One Contest at Placid

By John C. Bullard

Harvard's hockey team returned from a three-day sojourn at Lake Placid this vacation with a record of two defeats and one victory, as Princeton, last year's Quadrangular League Champions, took the so-called "social series" from the Crimson.

After a disastrous opening day performance Harvard braced, took the second game from the Bengals, and then dropped the deciding match by a 3 to 2 margin. At any event, the performance was much better than last year's, when the Tigers shellacked Harvard 10 to 4 and 6 to 2.

Defensive Work Improves

Coach Clark Hodder was much pleased with the improved defensive play of the team after the first game, and the forward lines displayed a brand of team work which had not been previously seen. However, the Crimson shooting left a good deal to be lesired, and, especially in the second game, Harvard forwards were firing the puck into the goalie's pads instead of the net.

Center Burgy Ayres did not make the trip, and George Gebelein was out with a leg injury after the second game, so that the first two Crimson lines were scrambled. Sophomore Earl Acker took Gebelein's place on the first line along with Johnny Paine and Gordy McGrath, and Caleb Loring centered, the second line with Dick Harding and Johnny Burton on the wings. The third line of Albie Everts, Sandy Macmillan, and Marc Beebe played together as usual.

Dreher Hits Peak

George Dreher's work at right defense drew the praise of Hodder, who termed his play in the second game the best of his career. Captain Greely Summers held down the other defense post, while Steve O'Neil and Ab Fenn took turns in the goal.

After assuming a 2 to 0 lead in the first game on goals by Harding and Loring, the Crimson bogges down. There-after Tiger goalie Pete Rothermel was unbeatable and his team mates jammed six goals into the Crimson nets.

Harvard Takes Second, 2-1

Turning the tables in the second game, Harvard dumped Princeton, 2 to 1. The Tigers went out ahead, but Beebe tied the score with an assist by Everts, and then Harding provided the winning goal, as Loring was credited with an assist. Thereafter both goalers blanked all scoring threats.

In the deciding game McGrath scored both Crimson goals, one on an assist by Johnny Paine and the other on a solo dash. On each occasion be pulled Harvard even with the Tigers, but Princeton went ahead once more, eventually winning the game 3 to 2 and the series, two game to one.