Harlow Drives Squad In Tough Scrimmage

Injuries Bar Smith, Fisher and Comeford

By Robert S. Landau

In an effort to find replacements for his injury-ridden squad, Dick Harlow put the "A," "B," and "C" teams through a regular scrimmage yesterday afternoon. It was the first mid-week contact work for the starters since before the Penn game.

Right now Harlow has three holes in his regular lineup as a result of the injuries last Saturday to tailback Jack Comeford, center Jack Fisher, and running guard Sid Smith, and there may be another vacancy at the blocking back slot, since Swede Anderson missed practice yesterday as a result of a slight illness.

Perkins Smashes "C" Line

Sophomore Paul Perkins, elevated to the first team because of his work against William & Mary, strengthened his hold on the fullback post by ripping through the "C" line for sizable gains. Wayne Johnson, whose place he took, also did well, starring for the "B" eleven.

The only shake-up in the lineup, aside from those caused by injuries, saw George Hibbard taking over again at left tackle, pushing Stan Durwood down to the second team.

In Comeford's absence, Leo Flynn was the number 1 tailback. The Freshman speedster has improved tremendously under Harlow's tutelage and has finally shaken off the high-schoolish habit of trying to dodge tacklers before he reaches the open field. He and Cleo O'Donnell won top honors in yesterday's passing drills.

Center's Work Stressed

With Fisher out with a leg injury and his substitute, Dick Andersen, suffering from a slight illness, the pivot post is woefully undermanned, so the coaches surveyed closely the work of the centers who are still able-bodied. Soup Gardiner moved from third to second string, while Roxie Lawson and Ricky Woodruff came up from the Jayvees to the "A" and "C" outfits respectively.

Team A: le, Barnes; lt, Hibbard; lg, Gudaitis; c, Lawson; rg, Kamp; rt, Stannard; re, Garland and Cummings; tb, L. Flynn; fb, Perkins; wb, Wilson; qb, Goethals.

Team B: le, Boston and W. Flynn; lt, Durwood; lg, Ward; c, Gardiner; rg, Kleinman; rt, W. Fisher; re, Forte and dudley, tb, Richards and Roche; fb, Johnson; wb, O'Donnell and Lyle; qb, Waters.