NETWORK OFF AIR ALL NIGHT

WLP Sabotage Suspects As Technicians Struggle

No comforting hum of power was heard last night in the spacious quarters of the Crimson Network as the master technician threw the switch which pours Cambridge current into the powerful transmitters broadcasting nightly to the seven Houses. A continued blackout of the transmitting facilities caused well informed Network circles to voice dark hints of sabotage by the newly established station WLP.

"We will make no accusations," asserted Robert J. L. Waugh '43, acting technical head for the Network, "but the coincidence of the announcement of the new station and the breakdown of Network facilities cannot escape our notice." Meanwhile all the far-flung organization of the Network was thrown, into the battle against time to put the evening's programs back on the air.

Shirt-sleeved technicians summoned from the far corners of the College, together with Network candidates, labored for three hours, leaving the floor littered with tubes and coils in a vain attempt to bring life to the dead transmitter.

In the spirit of "the show must go on," the non-technical boards of the Network continued to put their music, talks, and news resumes into a dead mike, until the Network went off the air at its official closing time of 11 o'clock. At the end of the evening, the harassed technicians and announcers gave up the job of repair for the night.

Although rumors so sabotage were not yet confirmed and elusive members of WLP could not be found for statement, widespread feeling was rampant at the Network that the newly founded station was responsible for the unfortunate silence. In the belief that the suspicions of his staff would seen be proved true Robert S. Kieve '43, president of the Network, last night cast down the gauntlet to the usurpers of Harvard radio peace. "We are now making plans to wipe WLP completely off the face of the dial," he thundered.