BOOTERS SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT; JAYVEE ELEVEN BOWS TO BLUE

1946 Soccer Squad Swamp M.I.T., 6-3

In a thrill-jammed contest, the booters lost a heartbreaker to a tough Springfield team 2 to 1 on the Business School Field Saturday afternoon.

Possessing a smooth passing attack, the New England League champs held scoreless in the first two quarters, while the Crimson legmen chalked up a point by a brilliant head shot by Jack Calhoun on a pass from Eli Berman. The Maroon came back in the third quarter to tie the score on a shot by Wilbur Eaton which careened off the cross bar into the goal.

A nip-and-tuck battle all the way, the game looked like a tie up until the last few minutes of the game, when Captain Irv Schmid put a fine shot into the corner of the Harvard goal to clinch the game for Springfield.

Team Disappointed

Unscored on in two previous games with Tufts and Clark, the Crimson has been pointing for this game all season and they didn't attempt to disguise their disappointment at the loss. The entire team played a good game.

Bouncing back from last week's defeat at the hands of Governor Dummer, the Freshman booters ran wild over M.I.T. 6 to 3. Keller was by far the outstanding player of the game. Scoring four of the six Crimson goals, he put on a bang-up performance until he was carried from the field with an injured ankle.

Another goal was notched by Pearson, making the score at half time 5 to 0 in favor of Harvard. The Engineers came back in the second half to score three goals and, by reason of a misplaced kick, to add another point to the Crimson total.

Harvard Varsity Lineup: g Keene; rfb Slingerland, Taylor; lfb Harbison rhb Butcher; chb Clarke; lhb Mallory rof Murphy; rif Gifford; cf Sawhill, Calhoun; lif Drake; lof Berman.