HARVARD HAS FIFTY IN A.F.S.

Enlistment Policy Changed To 2-Year Term With Pay

The 50-odd Harvard men now seeing action with the American Field Service are leading no soft life, according to Roger C. Tyler '45, of Weston, Mass., who described the life of a volunteer as being one of "sand, syphilis, and flies."

Tyler, who is just back from four months in Africa, and who is now at the Stillman Infirmary, said that while the work was tough and the climate hot, there was "plenty of excitement." Mr. Tyler added that the AFS now in Africa was composed mainly of college students.

Enlistment Changed

Since the beginning of the war, the AFS has changed its program of enlistment slightly, easing the financial burden on those who find the journey to Africa costly. Whereas formerly the volunteer had to join for one year, with the option of a second, and had to pay all except living expenses, he now will sign for two years, and will receive a 20-dollar-a-month salary.

In its 28th year, the AFS is attractive to those college men who cannot pass strict eye tests for the regular armed services of the nation. Action is promised to those who enlist, and, according to letters from the front is delivered.